Thursday, October 17, 2013

House of Haunts

Muhahahahahahah! Scared yet? You should be... this post is going to freak you out! WARNING, run if you don't like pictures... this is a very picture heavy post!

Today I'm so excited to share with you what I've been working on the past week! SVG Cuts is having another Facebook Challenge this time it's Halloween themed. Of course, I can't resist a good challenge... they are so much fun! I LOVE to create, and with SVG Cuts files the possibilities are endless! For this challenge I wanted to create a little street seen.

Wait until you see it all lit up!

Since I wanted to create a spooky house, the first one I thought of was the Bates House from the movie Psycho. When I looked it up I knew it was the perfect inspiration I needed for my House of Haunts! 

Creepy isn't it!

So how did I do?  Looks a bit like the Bates house doesn't it? OK well, maybe minus Norman!

For those that are interested, here are all the SVG Cuts Kits I used:

All cut out on the Silhouette Cameo

WOW, right! Love how it looks all lit up... I think this has to be one of my favorite paper projects to date and one of my most challenging for sure!

Look at those little faces on the Trick or Tr-eaters! The Witch looks like she's ready to beat someone with her broom... leave it to the boys to send in the girl first, LOL!

I can see why they are so scared... the skeleton, the headless horseman, the spiders, creepy tombstone door! These little cuties are working hard for their candy!

To make these little guys stand, I used a strip of paper and created score lines at different depths, essentially creating steps. Then adhered each one of them to a step.

Poor Witch, she looks terrified! And, just for some scale the skeleton measures 3 inches tall! I'm sure she can take him on!!!

Did you notice the lights? It's a modern day Victorian, complete with outdoor lighting, hehe! 

To add the string of lights, all I did when I cut out my house panels was add a couple of circle cutouts just underneath the roof line to poke my mini lights through. 

Because I also wanted the top of the house to light up I also created two more holes in the top roof tower as shown below. Still plenty room to fill with goodies if you wanted to give a house like this away!

I wanted to make the house look Evil, so another modification I did to the house was remove the top window from the tower and add the Skull and flames. The banner was made using Print and Cut, and the file comes from here

To the roof top I added iron roof trim from here. To attach it, I added a score line to make a bend and then I adhered it the edge of the roof line and porch. I also added the crooked chimney from the same kit. 

Is that not the scariest looking cat? He has no eyes... EEK! 

The yellow tape you see I created with the Print and Cut feature of the Silhouette. The name of the font I used is Blackadder ITC. For the roof I used a Japanese Scale embossing folder and ran them through the Cuttlebug. Then distressed them with a white ink pad.

For my tree of  spiders, I used a white card stock base and inked the edges black.  The patterned paper comes from My Mind's Eye Mischievous Paper Kit. To make my tea lights coordinate with the rest of the scene I wrapped Washi tape (Recollections) around them.

Here is what the inside looks like with the string of lights through it... You could secure them all the the top part of the roof but I found the lighting better when some of the lights were on the base of the house. This would also be a great idea for a Christmas Themed house, with all the lights around the house!

To close it up, I just created a little slit with my scissors and pulled the end of the cord through.

Did you notice the siding? I didn't have an embossing folder that looked like a siding of any kind, so I thought I would make my own.  I did it by creating score lines on my panels with my Martha Stewart score board. What took me forever was the ink distressing and "dirtying" of the house! But all so worth it, I absolutely love how it all came together :) Now I just have to clean up my dirty craft room :(

Here's one last look at the House of Haunts. Oh, almost forgot the flying witch comes from here and the bats from here. I used some floral wiring and poked a hole through the top of the roof tower and used hot glue to secure it. 

Hope you have enjoyed my House of Haunts! I have had so much fun coming up with it, and if you haven't entered there is still a few days left! Good luck to all that are participating, there are already many great entries.

Wish me luck on the Challenge, I sure would love to win a Sizzix Eclipse or anything else for that matter!

Thanks so much for stopping by, would love to hear what you think :)
Happy Crafting Everyone!

Sharing this with my Crafty Peeps!
Post a Comment

For My Canadian Friends